Saturday, February 26, 2011

Happy Hanok Village

This afternoon we went to the traditional Hanok Village in southern Jeonju. We made potpourri bags or as they call them, herb aromas pouches.
There were seven different herbs and the teacher told us their names and properties.
Most of the English names they had for the herbs were the scientific names, all I know is that there was cedar, cloves, and cinnamon. The properties were pretty funny and our translator learned the English word for phlegm.
One herb was for appetite, one was a diuretic, and one was to help women’s bodies, another for mucus and phlegm and one for energy.
They were all to help you with stress. I had a plastic cup to fill with the different herbs and added the amount I liked of each. You also had to add a whole cup of cedar chips. Then the teacher showed us the traditional way to fold the piece of paper into a pouch. We each got a silk bag to fit the pouch into.




 Then we made paper fans.We were given the pieces to put together and then dried flowers to paste on it.
Some people used the contact paper so their flowers wouldn’t fall off.
I didn’t like the way the contact paper looked so I didn't use it.
I’d like to get some spray adhesive to make sure it stays together.











We had Jeonju traditional Hanjeongsik for lunch. There were some sides that were delish!







After, we went to make pottery. I made a small coil pot and etched ivy around the outside. We will get them back in ten days. I hope I actually get it.

Next we dyed handkerchiefs. You could make them yellow or red. The yellow was so bright and the red looked rusty even though the woman said it would get brighter as it dried, so I made a yellow one. We were given 40 minutes to explore the village. I bought a cookie mold that makes cookies for one of the Korean holidays. Jenny has seen the recipe online so I’m going to find it and make them. We saw people playing some traditional games and I cheered for a little Korean boy when he was able to throw a stick into a can. It was intense! Jenny and I got smoothies for a dollar. Mine was pineapple and she got strawberry. We ate them outside next to the street and enjoyed the spring air. I keep hearing about all the snow at home and I’m so happy that things are warming up here.
This evening I played some phase ten with Brittany, Jenny, Justina, Chris and Lindsey. It turns out that I’m pretty good for never playing before. I’ve played books and runs which is similar (hint: new game for the family). Now we are sitting in the Paris Baguette and can’t find wifi so I’m saving this and will post when I get back to the dorm. Tomorrow we have the whole day off so I will sleep in for once!!!
Later,
Lisa

No comments:

Post a Comment