Sunday, April 3, 2011

A Gunsan Birthday and a Daejon shopping trip

  Friday after school, my co-teacher dropped me off at the bus station to go to Gunsan. It was Becky's birthday party. The bus ride is about an hour. Becky sushi at first but the suchi place was full of GIs so we went for Chinese.There were seven of us: Kat, Amy, Jane, Chenny, Lindsey, Becky and I. Chenny and Jane (on the right) had a lot of fun reading the menu for us and picking out dishes. We ended up getting a family feast which is eight different dishes so we got to try a lot of different things. I found that I don't mind eating shrimp and jelly fish, but the octopus tentacles were a little too chewy for me.
(I had spent Thursday night making chocolate chip cookies in my toaster oven, which can only fit three cookies on a sheet. I also made Becky a beaded bracelet during my free time on Wednesday. She was quite happy to receive both.)
After the restaurant, we went to The Rock which is a popular bar for foreigners. Lindsey and I had just been talking about how we miss nachos earlier in the week, so we were so happy that the bar gives nachos as bar snacks. Lindsey and I ordered coladas together. Mine was pina and hers was strawberry. In other photo below is a pic of me with Becky, the birthday girl.

 After the bar we went to norebang. By that time there were 12 of us. I sang so much my voice started to leave again. Lindsey and I sang Thriller and Gives you Hell. We stayed there for two hours. It only cost 15,000 Won an hour ($15).
The book Sean is looking at is a list of the available songs in both English and Korean.


 This is what the wall of the norebang said. Sean, Lindsey and I couldn't figure out why it said, "A Hour Dreams come true". Later with the lights on we saw it said, "All our Dreams come true". We went back to The Rock for a while more and I watched several games of pool.
I spent that night at Kat's place.
The next morning, Monika, Sean, Lindsey, Chenny and I took a bus to Deajon to go to the Costco. We wanted to see what they had for Western food. We ended up going to a department store and a market before ending up at the Costco. I got a shirt for $5 at the underground (literally) market and some cute Disney stickers at the department store. We saw this cute puppy at the market. It loves Pendas!

At the Costco I got wheat bread, cheddar cheese, mastocholi noodles, alfredo sauce, green beans and mac and cheese. We saw this cream soup and tried to figure out was kind of cream it was. Sean decided it was cream of dog soup.
We had quite an adventure getting home. The train to Jeonju was longer and more expensive than taking the bus so we didn't do that. The taxi took us to the wrong bus station. Lindsey was able to get a bus to Kimje from there, but there weren't any to Jeonju or Gunsan. We got a taxi which took us to the correct bus station and had to wait almost an hour for the next bus. We happened to run into a TaLK scholar we knew at  the underground market earlier, in Daejon, and we met another one, Charlotte, at this bus station.
The bus back to Jeonju happened to stop near my house so I didn't have to go all the way to the Jeonju bus station and take a taxi, which meant I saved money. Yay! Unfortunately I had to carry my big box of groceries all around to the previous taxi and bus stations. Now I have some really good meals I can make myself. Hmmm, which to make first?
Hope everyone is having a great a weekend as I am!
~Lisa

No comments:

Post a Comment