Friday, April 22, 2011

Korean Students Have Strange Reactions to Eggs

First let me say I don't mean allergic reactions :)
 In all my classes this week we dyed Easter eggs (Not the Kindergarten class though of course because that would have been disastrous).


Do you know the first thing Korean kids do when you hand them an egg?

They spin it on the table to see if it's completely boiled.
Second, they ask you if they can eat it. I had already told them we would be coloring them with crayons and dye. How does that mean you can eat it as soon as I give it to you.

The dye went over well with all the classes but one of my second graders didn't even make it that far. She drew on hers a little with crayons and then started to eat it.
Whatever, I was aready busy enough with the other 10 kids.
With the fourth grade there was one boy who cracked his egg after leaving my classroom, but there were no other casualties until that first/second grade class. I told all the classes that if they insisted on eating the eggs they had to do it after they left my classroom, because I can't bear to see Easter eggs being eaten (it just seems wrong to me).
First and Second grade class though..... only one out of all the 11 eggs didn't get broken either on purpose or accident.
Wow, it was...... stressful and hilarious all at the same time. My kids are all camera shy except for the first/second graders so I snapped away like crazy with them today. I hope you enjoy looking at their eggs more than they seemed to.


 These are the only photos I got of the sixth graders before they started hiding.










 Karen and Megan. To the right is Mari with her egg that never got dyed.





Betty and Drew.
Ace, Joe and Rob.
The lower three photos are Karen, Henry and Matt.



The actual dying process. Because we used brown eggs we left them in the dye for a long time to get darker.





Matt, Betty, Karen, Joe, Megan and Drew with their eggs




Megan peeling her egg. Oh, the humanity!!!

Last Sunday I went with Sab and his friend Sunni to Tapsa (temple) and the Maison (horse ear) mountains. It was lots of fun hiking and seeing the temple. We ate kim bap under a tree and got ice cream.



 On the hike up to the temple, I didn't expect the first thing I'd see to be this. Neither did Sab and Sunni. It was........ weird.
 Below is our kim bap lunch.





 Sunni and me in front of the shrines
 This white statue to the right is the monk who built all of the stacked stone shrines which Tapsa is famous for.
 It was so crowded because everyone was there to see the cherry blossoms. The flowers weren't actually bloomed this day. I think this weekend will be better. All the paper lanterns everywhere are for Bhudda's birthday which is in another week or so.





 On the right is a backpack tag I saw. It's one of Tom's favorite anime characters. I saw a lot of this.


 The cherry blossoms were in full bloom at Duckchi school though. When Sab took this photo, he said that it looked like he was in a foreign country because I was there. Ha..Ha..Ha. Cuz I don't get enough foreigner jokes already.

No comments:

Post a Comment